These Healthy Turkey Burrito Bowls are Fresh, Tangy, and packs a punch! A recipe that will have you wishing you made more for left-overs to last a few days.
Sticky southwest rice topped with ground turkey so good you’d never know it was loaded with fresh veggies! Wait, veggies you say? YES! On top of all the fresh veggies on the outside, this recipe is LOADED with veggies on the inside. Smooth guacamole and hints of robust garlic with a passerby of cumin sweep the pallet to create a fresh medley of a symphonic tex-mex dream! Sour cream, parsley, and chopped cilantro can be used to kick this up a notch, but also just a little fresh lime juice, salt and pepper because we can’t stop and we won’t stop!
First things first: Prep your ingredients!
Meat and seasoning aside, get ready to pulse your veggies.
Ready, set, pulse! We want small pieces to resemble cooked ground meat.
Now, saute your garlic in oil, brown the turkey, and add the veggies and seasoning. Cook until soft and melded into a saucy meat.
Meanwhile, cook your rice and saute the remaining mushrooms.
Add the can of Rotel to your meat mixture, saute until warm, finish rice, and get ready to prep your Healthy Turkey Burrito Bowls!
Arrange the meat and rice on bottom and desired toppings. Finish off with a drizzle of Taco Ranch sauce or a dollop of sour cream. ENJOY!
Use tortilla rounds for scooping or stir up and eat all on its own.
Additional Topping Options:
- avocado slices
- southwest tortilla strips
- bacon pieces
- fresh cilantro
- pico de gallo
- jalapeno slices
- fresh lemon/lime
Now, if you’re not sold on all the fresh veggies you could sneak into this dish, then my job is not done! All I’ve got to say is welcome to the summer item your kids will be begging for every week. Even my 2-year old loves this!
Healthy Turkey Burrito Bowl
- cutting board
- chef knife
- food processor
- Saute pan
- 1.5qt pot
- 8 OZ baby bell mushrooms sliced
- 1 lg carrot peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 lg sweet onion roughly chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 pk taco seasoning
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10 oz can Rotel Tomatoes with chiles
- 5 oz Mahatma Spanish Rice Mix cooked according to package
- 8 oz baby bell mushrooms sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 14.75 oz can fire roasted corn drained
- 8 oz black olives medium
- 2 ripe vine tomatoes diced
- 15 oz can seasoned pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can seasoned black beans drained and rinsed
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese finely shredded
- Ortega Taco Ranch Sauce
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro
- tortilla strips
- tortilla rounds
Meat and toppings
- Prep mushrooms, carrot, and onion for meat mixture and add to food processor. Pulse until size of cooked ground meat
- Saute garlic over medium high heat in olive oil, add ground turkey and cook while breaking up into small pieces until no pink is left
- Add processed veggie mixture and seasonings to meat and saute until brown and carrots are cooked through
- Meanwhile, make sure rice is cooked according to the package
- Add can of Rotel to veggie meat mixture and simmer on low heat until sauce is thickened
- Saute remaining mushrooms in olive oil until desired tenderness
- Portion out rice and meat mixture into bottom of bowl and top with remaining vegetables
- Additional toppings can be added according to liking
- Bowls can be eaten with tortilla chips, flour tortillas as tacos, or just mixed up!